Re: is it possible to add a secondary disk to an existing debian systems and install programs to the secondary disk

Semih Ozlem (semihozlemlinuxuser@gmail.com) wrote:
> It is a starting point but the problem is really not with whether there is
> enough space to download installation files, for they can be downloaded
> remotely to some other disk. The problem is when installing from the
> downloaded files, the system itself may give an error saying no disk space
> left. The problem is when installing the file I presume some files are
> written in linux directory usually I presume or guess in /bin/ or /sbin so
> that the installed programs become usable. When an external disk is added,
> it is writable and readable but its space does not become incorporated or
> available to /bin /sbin or whatever directories in linux filesystem get
> used... Is it possible to make some changes to filesystem hierarchy so that
> the additional disk becomes available to the system?

You decide where to mount the new partition(s) or logical volume(s).

Start from the beginning, please.  Show us the output of "df -h" or
something.  Also tell us how the computer is being used (personal
desktop/laptop, server of some kind, etc.).  Tell us where the big
files are, or the big collections of files.

Tell us how big each disk is.

From there, people may be able to give you concrete advice, like "make
a 10 GB partition and mount it as /var", or "mount the entire second
disk as /home".