Re: is it possible to add a secondary disk to an existing debian systems and install programs to the secondary disk

On Ma, 23 feb 21, 00:37:52, Semih Ozlem wrote:
> I am currently pre-planning. If it could be done, then I am going to go
> about searching and purchasing necessary devices in order to do the task.
> That's why I am asking in the first place. I have a usb device that I can
> attach for testing now.
>
> Currently I am just running from a live usb. Here is the output of df -h

It seems to me like you are making some assumptions about Debian (and
possibly Linux distributions in general) that lead to wrong conclusions.

While it is technically possible to install Debian packages to different
locations this is most likely the wrong solution to your problem.

For a start it may help to understand the Filesystem Hierarchy
Standard[1][2].

Additionally, a major difference between Debian (as well as most other
Linux systems) and Windows is that library packages are installed to be
available for all other packages on the system. This means that a
library package forcibly installed to a different location is suddenly
unavailable for packages that might need it. And this is just the
beginning of potential problems if you go this route.

As you seem to want to experiment the best solution for you is to do
just that: experiment ;)

I would recommend to start with a blank drive[3] and keep your
partitioning as simple as possible (e.g. all in one partition).

As you start filling the drive you can look into what data (preferable,
if your application supports it) or parts of the system you need to move
to different drives. Common candidates are /home (user data) and /var
(variable application data) and even /usr (system packages, rather
unlikely though).

As has already been suggested, LVM can be used to make your storage more
flexible, while adding significant complexity.

[1] https://manpages.debian.org/hier
[2] Live systems in particular might deviate significantly from it.

Have fun,
Andrei