Re: is it possible to add a secondary disk to an existing debian systems and install programs to the secondary disk

On 2021-02-25 at 10:26, IL Ka wrote:

>> Thanks for the explanation. But I guess that the Windows style is
>> becoming increasingly common in the Linux world as well,

>> with the rise
>> of Docker, Flatpak, Snap, etc. (as another poster in this thread
>> mentioned). And these are not just for those who don't understand the
>> value of using the repositories: lately I've been encountering quite a
>> few popular and useful applications (e.g., Nextcloud (server), Jitsi,
>> Caddy, Traefik) that for whatever reason (upstream doesn't maintain a
>> sufficiently stable version, etc.) are not packaged for Debian, and
>> going the Docker / Flatpak / Snap route is quite tempting.
>
> Yes, this reason is very common: I need "Python 3.9", but stable Debian
> doesn't have it.

Eh?

$ apt-cache policy python3

python3:
  Installed: 3.9.1-1
  Candidate: 3.9.1-1
  Version table:
 *** 3.9.1-1 900
        900 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     3.7.3-1 800
        800 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable/main amd64 Packages

This is tracking stable+testing, so usually running the version from
testing.

Unless you need *exactly* 3.9.0, and 3.9.1 won't do - in which case I
question your use case; anything with that tight of a version dependency
on its runtime seems risky to me at best.

--
   The Wanderer