Re: is it possible to add a secondary disk to an existing debian systems and install programs to the secondary disk

On Thu, 25 Feb 2021 18:26:04 +0300
IL Ka <kazakevichilya@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Thanks for the explanation. But I guess that the Windows style is
> > becoming increasingly common in the Linux world as well,
>
> You mean  "side by side", right?

I meant the habit of including all an application's dependencies in its
installation packaging, as with Docker / Flatpak / Snap.

> I agree. Some developers took another approach and compiled all their code
> statically.
> AFAIK "Go" language does it by default, so all libraries are simply
> "packed" to the one big binary file
> that depends on kernel ABI only.

Yes, I recently read a rant about this from the Gentoo people:

https://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2021/02/19/the-modern-packagers-security-nightmare/

h/t:

https://www.osnews.com/story/133066/the-modern-packagers-security-nightmare/

> with the rise
> > of Docker, Flatpak, Snap, etc. (as another poster in this thread
> > mentioned). And these are not just for those who don't understand the
> > value of using the repositories: lately I've been encountering quite a
> > few popular and useful applications (e.g., Nextcloud (server), Jitsi,
> > Caddy, Traefik) that for whatever reason (upstream doesn't maintain a
> > sufficiently stable version, etc.) are not packaged for Debian, and
> > going the Docker / Flatpak / Snap route is quite tempting.
> >

> Yes, this reason is very common: I need "Python 3.9", but stable Debian
> doesn't have it.
> So, I have to use Docker.
>
> There is even a Linux distro that doesn't have anything except bare core
> OS: "Core OS"

And Ubuntu is apparently going in that direction, although I don't know
how far they plan to go:

https://www.howtogeek.com/670084/what-you-need-to-know-about-snaps-on-ubuntu-20.04/

Celejar