Re: Conflicting alternatives

On 19/02/21 2:34 am, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
On Jo, 18 feb 21, 08:15:39, Dan Ritter wrote:
Richard Hector wrote: > On 18/02/21 5:22 am, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 12:06:37AM +0800, Kevin Shell wrote:
> > > You could stop one and start the other,
> > > there's no resources or port conflict.
> > > I want to just keep both, not run them at the same time.
> > says that all daemons must be started up by default.
> > It is possible to install both nginx and apache2 at the same time. Both
> presumably try to get port 80? Not sure how that resolves; I don't have a
> machine I want to try it on at the moment.

The order of events is:

- install one. Change the listening port to something other than
  80.

- install the next.

Web servers are built to interoperate with each other; it is not
ridiculous to have a dozen web servers on a machine each
listening to different ports, or listening on sockets and being
proxied by a different web server.

It seems to me the important difference is that it is comparatively easy
and common to interact with a webserver on a non-standard port, whereas
running a SMTP server on a non-standard port might be useful only in
very specific corner cases.

There are multiple standard ports, though. E.g. one could easily run one MTA on port 25 for incoming mail, and another on 587 for outgoing.

My point, though, was that there's a precedent for daemons that default to listening on the same port, yet are co-installable. And which will, IIRC, throw errors on installation if you try it without paying special attention.

Richard