Re: Conflicting alternatives

On 2021-02-17 at 10:25, David Wright wrote:

> On Wed 17 Feb 2021 at 20:45:02 (+0800), Kevin Shell wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Feb 16, 2021 at 07:19:52PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> >
>> [...]
>> > It'd be work in the DPKG/APT code, yes.  But it would require no extra
>> > work from the people doing the packaging.
>>
>> I know little technical details about the Debian package manager,
>> from an end user's perspective, the package manager should give the user
>> the choise not to uninstall a wanted package,
>
> Call that 1.
>
>> if the user don't give a choise, the package manager can perform the
>> default action to remove the package.
>
> Call that 2.
>
>> I think this method is a better default behavior for the package manager
>> for some similar packages.
>
> Is that not true now?
>
> $ apt-get -s install busybox-static

> The following packages will be REMOVED:          ← case 2 ----------
>   busybox
>   busybox-static

> ~# aptitude hold busybox
> ~#
>
> $ apt-get -s install busybox-static

>  busybox : Conflicts: busybox-static but 1:1.30.1-4 is to be installed
>  busybox-static : Conflicts: busybox          ← case 1 ----------

I think what he's wanting is a case which would allow installing
busybox-static, but not insist on removing busybox. (Or the equivalent
in his actual use-case, where the files installed by the two packages
might not actually overlap.)

Where that runs into trouble is that even if the *files* don't overlap,
other resources which the package needs to control exclusively quite
possibly do - the most prominent example, from the discussion at hand
regarding MTAs, being port 25.

--
   The Wanderer