Re: Conflicting alternatives

On Wed, Feb 17, 2021 at 10:49:35AM -0500, The Wanderer wrote:
> On 2021-02-17 at 10:25, David Wright wrote:

[...]
> I think what he's wanting is a case which would allow installing
> busybox-static, but not insist on removing busybox. (Or the equivalent
> in his actual use-case, where the files installed by the two packages
> might not actually overlap.)

yes.
Supose my system
have installed these packages exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-heavy

What I'd hope apt to do is
# apt install postfix

Output:
[...]
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  exim4-base exim4-config exim4-daemon-heavy
  postfix

Case 1 the default: User hit Enter key and apt remove exim4 and install
postfix
Case 2: user choose to keep exim4 and apt keep it and install postfix

> Where that runs into trouble is that even if the *files* don't overlap,
> other resources which the package needs to control exclusively quite
> possibly do - the most prominent example, from the discussion at hand
> regarding MTAs, being port 25.

You could stop one and start the other,
there's no resources or port conflict.
I want to just keep both, not run them at the same time.

--
kevin