Re: "Run fsck manually"..?

On Wed 03 Feb 2021 at 01:41:54 (+0000), Andy Smith wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 07:13:16PM -0500, hobie of RMN wrote:
> > My brother's Debian system suddenly says on attempt to boot, "/dev/sda1:
> > UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:Runfsck manually", and, "inodes that were part of
> > a corrupted orphan linked list found."
> >
> > He enters "fsck" or "fsck /dev/sda1", and in a short while gets fsck
> > identifying it's version, and nothing else.
>
> There can be issues trying to run fsck on a mounted filesystem. What
> happens if you do:
>
> # touch /forcefsck

I think this is somewhat out of date, is it not.

I force fsck by adding   forcefsck   in grub, ie press e in
the grub menu, move the cursor to the end of the linux line,
type forcefsck and press Ctrl-X or F10 to boot. For example,

  linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-14-amd64 root=LABEL=toto04 ro systemd.show_status=true quiet forcefsck

> That will force the system to do a fsck on boot, before the
> filesystem is mounted for use. If that doesn't help I think you will
> indeed have to try this from a live or rescue environment. The
> Debian install media can boot into a rescue mode for tasks like
> this.

Cheers,
David.