[SOLVED} Re: "Run fsck manually"..?

> On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 01:41:54AM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 07:13:16PM -0500, hobie of RMN wrote:
>> > He enters "fsck" or "fsck /dev/sda1", and in a short while gets fsck
>> > identifying it's version, and nothing else.
>>
>> There can be issues trying to run fsck on a mounted filesystem. What
>> happens if you do:
>>
>> # touch /forcefsck
>
> Oh, sorry, I missed your mention of (initramfs) prompt. So your
> filesystem is too damaged to allow boot to complete and you won't be
> able to do that "touch /forcefsck" thing.
>
> If fsck is just printing its version it may think it doesn't need to
> be run. You can force it to do a check/repair with "-f", so:
>
> (initramfs) fsck.ext4 -vf /dev/sda1
>
> If it find things that it wants to fix it will ask yuo and you'll
> have to press 'y' each time. If you're certain that you always want
> to answer 'y' then you can ctrl-c that and try again with -y:
>
> (initramfs) fsck.ext4 -yvf /dev/sda1
>
> If you want to see what it would do without it actually doing it you
> can use -n instead of -y.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Thanks, Andy and everyone. :)  From the (initramfs) prompt, fsck -y
/dev/sda1 did the job. :) My brother finally realized he'd entered an
extra character originally, causing fsck to fail on his original attempt -
he had entered "./dev/sda1" instead of "/dev/sda1" - so removing that '.'
was part of solving this.  Like so many these days, he spends mos or all
of his time in the GUI rather than at the command line.

--hobie