Re: "Run fsck manually"..?

On 03/02/2021 04:01, David Wright wrote:
> On Wed 03 Feb 2021 at 01:41:54 (+0000), Andy Smith wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 02, 2021 at 07:13:16PM -0500, hobie of RMN wrote:
>>> My brother's Debian system suddenly says on attempt to boot, "/dev/sda1:
>>> UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:Runfsck manually", and, "inodes that were part of
>>> a corrupted orphan linked list found."
>>>
>>> He enters "fsck" or "fsck /dev/sda1", and in a short while gets fsck
>>> identifying it's version, and nothing else.
>> There can be issues trying to run fsck on a mounted filesystem. What
>> happens if you do:
>>
>> # touch /forcefsck
> I think this is somewhat out of date, is it not.
>
> I force fsck by adding   forcefsck   in grub, ie press e in
> the grub menu, move the cursor to the end of the linux line,
> type forcefsck and press Ctrl-X or F10 to boot. For example,
>
>   linux /boot/vmlinuz-4.19.0-14-amd64 root=LABEL=toto04 ro systemd.show_status=true quiet forcefsck

Good point. I seem to recall there being some discussion a few years ago
around the wisdom of having to write to a file system to fsck it. That
is, if you know the file system is broken and want to fsck it but you
don't have a way to interactively run fsck yourself, do you _really_
want to be modifying the file system? It's entirely possible that, by
writing /forcefsck to the file system, you destroy some other valuable
bit of data that fsck might have been able to save.