Re: Debian WSL

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021 at 12:52:29PM +0800, Robbi Nespu wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed Debian WSL on my windows.. here some details
>
> ~$ uname -a
> Linux PC 4.4.0-18362-Microsoft #1049-Microsoft Thu Aug 14 12:01:00 PST 2020
> x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> ~$ cat /etc/debian_version
> 10.5
>
> But sadly there is no podman package on Buster repos, it also mentioned on
> https://podman.io/getting-started/installation that podman only available on
> Debian Testing/Bullseye or Unstable/Sid

First things first: use apt-get update ; apt-get dist-upgrade to bring yourself up to Debian 10.7 [10.8 is out at the end of the month :) ]

You may be able to just change the sources list and update to bullseye. That's just started the freeze process - but there will be some significant
churn and changes before release later this year.

> I know upgrading normal installed Debian is easy. But ... Will it break
> current WSL when windows store push update and I need to re-setup again too?

Updating should be exactly the same: the critical thing is that the kernel remains the one provided by Microsoft, I think, and doesn't update from Debian.

> Or it better just keep using the current branch provided only (using podman
> from Kubic project)?

Why podman particularly? Is this because you must be compatible with Red Hat
somewhere?

Essentially, you're running containers on virtualisation on virtualisation. [Podman -> WSL2 -> HyperV shim -> Windows] so performance may
not be great. Fine for a trial but probably not ideal for heavier use. Find a
Linux box somewhere, maybe.

Hope this helps, all the very best

Andy C.