Re: problem with wifi

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021, at 07:53, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Ma, 19 ian 21, 02:51:21, Gareth Evans wrote:
> >
> > If the machine in question has a desktop environment and
> > NetworkManager (or equivalent), doesn't /etc/network/interfaces (or
> > interfaces.d) config override nm (etc)?
>
> It should (barring misconfiguration).
>
> > I thought without eg. connman, a dropped connection on a wifi NIC
> > configured in /etc/network/interfaces would not automatically be
> > re-established,
>
> The physical WiFi connection is established and maintained by
> wpasupplicant, which runs as a daemon and should reconnect as needed.
>
> The major difference is the (lack of) convenience in switching between
> and/or adding new networks.
>
> > and that this config had to be removed (or commented-out) for
> > something like NetworkManager or wicd to manage the connection, in the
> > case of a DE.  Is that wrong?
>
> There are different ways to prevent conflicts, the method you mentioned
> being one of them.
>
> As a general recommendation, pick one software to manage your network
> interfaces and stick with it for everything. This tends to reduce
> complexity and conflicts.
>
> Technically it should be possible to have different softwares managing
> different interfaces, though great care is needed so they don't trample
> on each other's toes.
>
> Kind regards,
> Andrei
> --
> http://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser
>
> Attachments:
> * signature.asc

Hi Andrei,

> > I thought without eg. connman, a dropped connection on a wifi NIC
> > configured in /etc/network/interfaces would not automatically be
> > re-established,

Just out of interest, was that ever the case?  Pre-WPA or even pre-WEP perhaps?

I'm sure I've seen tutorials etc (which now don't seem to exist, and may never have been correct of course) which mentioned the need for NetworkManager to re-establish dropped connections.  I wondered if that might be an issue for Long Wind, but obviously not - thanks for clarifying.

Best wishes,
Gareth