Re: Add a hard drive to existing system??

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 13:52:06 -0500
Jerry Mellon <jfmellon@netscape.net> wrote:

> have an ASUS gaming laptop(dont use it for gaming) with 12gb of memory
> and intel corei7 and a 500gb hard drive.
>
> My question is what is the best(use dummy for linus statements please)
> way to add a second hard drive with 2T of space. I wiil use this to
> store photos and documents etc.

I'm guessing you want an external drive for this, even if you have an
empty hard drive bay in the laptop. I'd get a USB 3 external drive. I
have several Seagate Backup Pluses that I use for offsite backups.

I highly recommend you encrypt the partitions on any external drive.

For how to do that, see:
https://charlescurley.com/blog/posts/2019/Nov/29/encrypting-an-external-partition/

Once you've done it, you'll want scripts to mount and unmount the
drive. https://charlescurley.com/blog/tag/backups.html

To back up to the external drive, consider rsnapshot. It will detect a
removable drive and only run if the partition is mounted.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com
https://charlescurley.com/blog/