Re: Add a hard drive to existing system??

On Sun, 17 Jan 2021 18:59:18 +0000
Alain D D Williams <addw@phcomp.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 01:52:06PM -0500, Jerry Mellon wrote:
> > Hello,
> > New to Debian, but have gotten Debian 10.7 loaded on to my system. I
> > have an ASUS gaming laptop(dont use it for gaming) with 12gb of
> > memory and intel corei7 and a 500gb hard drive.
> >
> > My question is what is the best(use dummy for linus statements
> > please) way to add a second hard drive with 2T of space. I wiil use
> > this to store photos and documents etc.
>
> It is often hard to change the hardware on a laptop. Probably the
> easiest way is to get an external disk with a USB interface, then
> plug the disk in when you need to get/put files to the disk.

Probably so. But I have a netbook containing a hard-wired SSD but also
a space for a standard drive. That was not advertised by the seller, who
presumably didn't know about it, and it isn't obvious without removing
the bottom cover plate. I had to buy an adaptor cable for the
proprietary interface, but then was able to fit a standard SSD.

But that is probably not a common feature. Look for a USB/drive
interface that uses USB3 and whatever the latest SATA is (seems to
change every week) for maximum speed. Depending on the drive, it may or
may not need an additional power supply. Some can be powered from the
USB connection, but they are likely to be the slowest.

--
Joe