Re: Cookies and so-called Privacy Policy [was: Debian and Android]

tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:

> One of the bigger hosting providers here in Germany, for its admin
> interface, has one of those cookies thingy: either you say "accept all"
> (that's the bright green button) or you say "edit preferences" (the light
> grey button which nearly fades into the background).
>
> So far, so normal. Now, you choose "edit" and disable everything you can
> disable (a hassle, because there are like 5 checkboxes, from targeted
> ads to affiliate networks).
>
> There are then two buttons. Guess... The default one, again bright green
> says "accept all cookies anyway", the grey one says "confirm settings".

Oh, you noticed this too. It started may be 1-2 months ago. This is why I
discussed this with my peers in the EU commission and she said they know of
these developments and are monitoring them - whatever it means.

> Yeah, GDPR is fun. But I'm glad we have (at least) that.

yes, true - I just wonder if it helps though, because it is only few crazy
people like you and me that bother to look into this.

>> > Interesting times, for sure.
>>
>> yes indeed - from some personal sources in the EU commission they are
>> watching these developments, but you know "International corporate
>> law ..." - seems like they do not have many options or capacity to deal
>> with the big brothers.
>>
>> Interesting times indeed
>
> They'll put up a fight, for sure. And they have lots of money, too. But
> their money is pretty volatile (watch twitter losing 20% of their market
> value after they kicked Trump), and they are extremely dependent on
> public perception (they are all ad companies, after all).
>
> Cheers
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_pattern

Yup, fully agree - the problem is the people who "simply don't have to hide
anything"

regards