Debian and Android

I just upgraded from  a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 to a Note 9 and find
that the file mounting no longer 'just works'. I've spent the last
two hours going through assorted discussions of problems that may
or many not be the same and none of them have actually been all
that helpful.

It appears that the auto mount on mtp may (or may not?) still work
on the Note 9. I do get an automount, but it has no files in it.

I've gotten into Developer mode on the phone and enabled USB
Debugging but that does not seem to do anything. The phone
requests a YES to allow the USB files and then I get (on
my Debian Mate laptop)

Could not display "mtp://
SAMSUNG_SAMSUNG_Android_41305958 56353498/:.
Error: No such interface "org.gtk.vfs.Mount" on object at path /org.gtk.vfs/mount.1
Please select another viewer and try again.

I've tried installing various things like mtp-tools, and assorted
android packages but nothing seems to help.

I simply want to drag my photos from the phone over a USB mount
and store them on my laptop.

I am not sure if Debian-users is the correct list, but it seems like
a good starting point. Note that I'm not exactly a newbie... more
like an oldbie who goes back to 1.0 kernels. I have done very little
with interfacing to mobile devices however. [little as lim little
approaches zero]

Besides solving this problem (hopefully minor) I'd like to get a
toe hold on android development and using old mobiles as small
pocket Unix computers.

| Dale Amon           Immortal Data, Las Cruces Airport            |
| CEO             8990 Zia Blvd, Suite D,Las Cruces, NM, 88007     |
|                   "Data Systems for Deep Space and Time"         |
| dale.amon@immortaldata.net                          760-382-9545 |