Re: Open source Atheros wifi? (ath10k)

On 17/01/2021 05:03, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> Nothing immediate for the former, but for the latter, you may want to
>> look at the 'vrms' package.
> Yes, I use that as well.  But that's an "opt-in", and it's rather crude
> (and operates after the fact).  I think Debian would benefit from having
> this kind of mechanism be much more "in your face" (and more
> informative/educational).  It would make it more acceptable (to me,
> anyway) to distribute install-media with non-free firmwares, knowing that
> those firmware won't be enabled silently).

In theory, I imagine it would be possible to make some sort of hook for
apt here. That is, in the same way that apt-listbugs and apt-listchanges
fire off before apt runs and as "Are you still sure you want to install
these packages?", it might be possible to do the same with vrms.

Oh, yes, here's a wishlist bug from 2014 requesting this functionality: