Steven Mainor

---
Steven Mainor

On 2021-01-16 12:52, Reco wrote:
Hi.

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 12:25:10PM -0500, Steven Mainor wrote:
I have a laptop with a QCA9377 Atheros AC wifi card. When I install
debian 10.7 amd64 I get a warning about missing non-free firmware and
the wifi doesn't work. It was my understanding that ath10k was open
source and included in linux. Is this not the case?

The driver is free software. The firmware it requires is not.
Thank US FCC for that - [1].

If not is there any wireless AC card that doesn't require binary
drivers?

To the best of my knowledge - there are none. Again, [1].

And barring that, what is the best wifi(N?) card I can buy
that doesn't require closed source drivers/firmware?

Anything that's ath9k supports does not require any firmware at all.
Ath9k is limited to 802.1n though. See [2] for an example list.

Reco

[1] https://hackaday.com/2016/02/26/fcc-locks-down-router-firmware
[2] https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/ath9k/products/external