Re: Open source Atheros wifi? (ath10k)

On Saturday 16 January 2021 12:25:10 Steven Mainor wrote:

> I have a laptop with a QCA9377 Atheros AC wifi card. When I install
> debian 10.7 amd64 I get a warning about missing non-free firmware and
> the wifi doesn't work. It was my understanding that ath10k was open
> source and included in linux. Is this not the case?
>
> If not is there any wireless AC card that doesn't require binary
> drivers? And barring that, what is the best wifi(N?) card I can buy
> that doesn't require closed source drivers/firmware?

As has been explained many times, albeit not recently on this list, here
in the states and many other places with RF regulating guvmnt agencies,
that code for software radios which regulates the power output and
channels available has to be a closed src blob that is not readily
hackable. Its the only way to control what these radios can do, forcibly
keeping them legal according to the region on this ball of rock and
water they are to be sold in.  Don't like it?  Write your congress
critter. But don't be surprised if the answering letter doesn't tell you
to stuff it. I am a retired BC engineer with the 1st phone fcc license
in my billfold that actually makes me responsible for much of that if I
am employed. The letter in my office files designating me as the Chief
Operator at a broadcast facility is a double edged sword, so I'm well
aware of the rules.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis