Re: Release status of i386 for Bullseye and long term support for 3 years?

Andrew M.A. Cater writes:

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 06:42:41AM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Dec 2020 13:42:37 +0200
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > That is, if you and other list subscribers care about continued i386
> > support you should probably look into contributing.
>
> And how does one do that?

[...]

If you have "real" 686 32 bit hardware that you can press into service that
isn't being used: pick up a Debian i386 disk and try reinstalling Debian.

If you have "real" 686 32 bit hardware - get a copy of a Debian live CD and
boot it - you may face probelms if there isn't a lot of memory.

[...]

Which version of Debian should be tested in such cases -- testing or stable? Any specific image files that I should use -- I'd head for the most recent official netinst image if not :) ?

I have a few i386 systems (which will not boot amd64) here and could do a few installs and live CD tests. Is there anything of interest to report apart from obvious "problems" and "successes"?

Does it make sense to test different "boot paths"? I normally burn actual CDs for the installation because that's what all (?) of my i386 systems support booting from, but some of them may do USB-pendrive based installations if triggered from an existent GRUB 2 prompt, too.

I have got seven i386 (non-amd64-capable) machines in total, all of which are known to work with "Debian 10 stable" although not freshly installed but upgraded from earlier releases. At least two of them can be easily used for testng and one of the others has very low RAM (will not run live systems that is...).

HTH
Linux-Fan

öö