Re: Two questions as I prepare for a new install

On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 19:10:53 +0000
Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 06:06:43PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 00:00:54 +0000
> > Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > 1. Does anyone have any advice (or a link to offcial advice)
> > > regarding whether a new bullseye install is better done with the
> > > testing installer at this time, or by first installing buster and
> > > then upgrading?
> >
> > In general, you are better off installing new rather than upgrading.
> > Installing new means less Buster cruft on your system compared to
> > upgrading buster. Upgrading is a PITA. Why install and then upgrade
> > when installing will get you what you want?
> >

> Thanks, great to know -- but just for the record that didn't use to
> be the advice -- I'm sure a search through the archives of this list
> will show times when people advised that the way to install testing
> was to install stable and then upgrade. That sounded like a faff, for
> exactly the reasons you mentioned, hence why I asked -- was hoping
> I'd get the answer you gave!

There's a big difference between upgrading a fresh installation of
stable, and one that's a couple of years old and has picked up some
cruft. There's an even bigger difference between upgrading a fresh,
*minimal* installation of stable before adding the desired
applications, and upgrading one packed with applications, any of which
may have issues when upgraded.

I've never had problems upgrading a new, very minimal stable directly to
unstable, something I wouldn't want to do with a well-used, mature
stable. And I have recently upgraded a working netbook from stretch to
buster, which was a sort of trial run to doing it on my server. The test
served its purpose, I won't be upgrading the server.

> Anyone have any thoughts on the second question I asked?

No, currently on AMD and Intel.

--
Joe