Re: Two questions as I prepare for a new install

On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 06:06:43PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 00:00:54 +0000
> Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > 1. Does anyone have any advice (or a link to offcial advice)
> > regarding whether a new bullseye install is better done with the
> > testing installer at this time, or by first installing buster and
> > then upgrading?
>
> In general, you are better off installing new rather than upgrading.
> Installing new means less Buster cruft on your system compared to
> upgrading buster. Upgrading is a PITA. Why install and then upgrade
> when installing will get you what you want?

Thanks, great to know -- but just for the record that didn't use to be
the advice -- I'm sure a search through the archives of this list will
show times when people advised that the way to install testing was to
install stable and then upgrade. That sounded like a faff, for exactly
the reasons you mentioned, hence why I asked -- was hoping I'd get the
answer you gave!

Anyone have any thoughts on the second question I asked?

Thanks

Mark