Re: i386 debian to 64bit intel

On 04/12/2020 11:25, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> Andrei wrote:
>> -=-=-=-=-=-

>>> Since you are new to Linux, yes.  There are other solutions but they are
>>> too complicated for you at this point.
>> The other solutions are very complicated also for advanced users and
>> most likely not worth the trouble.
>>
>> Reinstalling is probably faster and easier, especially if you already
>> have good backups of your data and configs.
>>
>> There is also little incentive in improving them as the number of i386
>> installs that are worth cross-grading is probably quite low and
>> decreasing daily.
> We finally have a cross-grading option in Debian that takes away a lot
> of the pain:
>
>   https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/debian-crossgrader
>
> but it's definitely not something I'd recommend for a novice yet...

Wow that's a really nice tool. I am somewhat boggling, though, at the
idea in the Instructions[1] of crossgrading from arm64 to amd64. What
manner of machine can interpret both of those instruction sets?!

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/crossgrading-team/debian-crossgrading/-/blob/master/INSTRUCTIONS.md#converting-an-arm64-system-to-amd64

--

Darac