Re: i386 debian to 64bit intel

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 10:25:49AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> FWIW, I recently needed to run a amd64 binary on my i386 system.
> Rather than make a full install I just added the few needed amd64 packages.
>
> I.e. something like
>
>     dpkg --add-architecture amd64
>     apt update
>     apt install linux-image-amd64 libc6:amd64

A word of warning for anyone else who wishes to try this: while running
an amd64 kernel on an i386 architecture installation is supported by
Debian, it may not be supported by whatever third-party applications
you're running.  Some applications use the kernel's reported architecture
to decide whether they should attempt to run a 64-bit or a 32-bit
version of their programs -- and if the kernel mismatches the Debian
architecture, they may try the wrong one.