Re: Mounting a USB device

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 14:45:41 -0600
David Wright <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue 03 Nov 2020 at 17:34:48 (+0000), Joe wrote:
>
> > Those of us who use NTFS do so deliberately to provide compatibility
> > with Windows. It's not that long ago that Linux NTFS support was a
> > bit flaky, so we don't do it solely by our own choice.
> >
> > I have a 4GB VeraCrypt file which I open in either Linux or Windows
> > on my dual-boot netbook. NTFS is the only possible choice.
> >
> > And no, don't suggest an ext4 implementation on Windows. I want
> > something solid.
>
> Do you have any recommendations on instructions for installing
> the veracrypt software (as Debian doesn't support it).

I got it from the veracrypt.fr website as a .deb for stretch.

> Do you run the GUI version or plain?

GUI. It doesn't really make sense to use different interfaces for
Windows and Linux, just because I can.

> Have you run it on an encrypted partition rather than just a file?

No, I specifically wanted a container in a file, and only TrueCrypt and
later VeraCrypt seemed to do that. Other encryption systems were for
partitions, which was not my application.

I wanted a subset of data on my laptop and netbook to be encrypted in
case of loss or theft, but in a block that could be written to DVD,
therefore a file of around 4GB. Yes, some of us still use them. They're
very cheap and it's a simple backup method. Depending on how I'm
working, I might burn a disk every couple of days (syncing daily to my
server) or once a month. My netbook doesn't have a drive but that's not
a problem. It has taken me a couple of years to fill 4GB (I'm not into
multimedia), at which point I just started another one.

> If so, would you recommend creating the partition container in
> linux and then letting windows create the NTFS filesystem?
> (Or else what; can windows do both?)

No, it's just a file within a Windows NTFS filesystem. I trust the
current Linux NTFS implementation for writing (it wasn't that long ago
it was recommended as read-only) but as a matter of policy, I would
format an NTFS device under Windows. A few of my USB sticks have NTFS
partitions, again for compatibility. As it happened, the VC container
was made under Windows.

--
Joe