Re: Mounting a USB device

On Sun, 1 Nov 2020 at 22:55, Mick Ab <recoverymail123890@gmail.com> wrote:

> My plan is to update my distribution very soon, but first I need to do
> a backup of the system to a USB portable hard drive (which uses NTFS).

Hi Mick,

Forgive me if I am wrong, but it seems possible that there could be some
"XY Problem" occurring here.
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem

I'm unable to know from your message history what you know already, or not,
what your knowledge level is, so I am writing this on the chance that
it might be
useful to you. If that's not correct, then please ignore.

Are you aware that NTFS is not an optimal filesystem to use on Linux
systems? If I had a USB portable hard drive that I was going to use only
with Linux systems, then I would get rid of its NTFS filesystem at the
earliest opportunity, unless it was already being used for other purposes.

If the drive is blank, you don't have to use the factory-format NTFS,
you can change it to something better before using it. I only use NTFS
in situations where another non-Linux system needs to be able to read
the same files.

What triggered me to write this message is that it seems unlikely that a
non-Linux system would need to be able to read the system backup you
mentioned above.

If your goal is system backup and that is something that you have
never done before, then I suggest that if you state the big-picture goal
of your situation:
- what resources you have.
- what your goal is.
- what research you have already done.
- what you know and what you don't know.
then you might receive more useful advice from us, if you want that.

There's many different ways to do a system backup. But none that I can
think of that involve NTFS, unless there's a good reason or factors that
you haven't yet shared with us :)

But if you don't need to be told this, that's fine too.