PC wont boot to GUI

Hi,

I am not sure what to do next.
I have 2 identical older MBs Asus M5A 78L-M LX. Each has an AMC Sempron 145 processor. I have been running one of these for the last 5 years with Debian 8 and it seems to work fine. I recently assembled the second MB and decided to install Debian 10 using a USB drive. The installation completes, installs GRUB and then prompts to reboot with the install media removed.

When the new system boots the last message on the screen is:
[ OK ] Started GNOME Display Manager.
Nothing further happens on the screen.

If i boot with Linux 4.19.0-12 amd64 (recovery mode) then I am able to boot successfully
at the prompt I can enter the command # journalctl -xb
Looking at the output there is one error displayed:

drm: radeon_pci_probe ERROR radeon kernel modesetting for R600 or later requires firmware installed.

1) Is this error significant?
2) where do I find this firmware and do I really need this firmware? I am not using any graphics card -just the built in graphics.  Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780

If i swap hard drives with my working Debian 8 system then the new computer boots normally to the debian 8 GNOME desktop.

If anyone can give me some hints or ideas to try I will appreciate your help and kindness.

John Figie