Re: The .xsession-errors problem

On 2020-10-26 18:35 +0200, Teemu Likonen wrote:

> It seems that ~/.xsession-errors file can still grow to infinity in
> size. Sometimes it grows really fast. This is nothing new: we have all
> seen it and talked about it. What do you do to maintain this file?
>
>   - Do you just delete it when you happen to notice it's too big?
>
>   - Do you configure some rotating system, perhaps with logrotate(8)?
>     (Why doesn't Debian have this automatically?)
>
>   - Do you add it to your backup system's ignore list so that a
>     potentially big file doesn't fill your backups?

I simply truncate it in my ~/.xsession file, since I don't care what's
in it once my session has ended.  Maybe this has some side effects when
starting multiple sessions, but I rarely do that and so far did not have
any problems.

>   - What do Debian documentation and faq lists teach about maintaining
>     this potentially huge file?
>
>   - Why is it normal that in Debian (and GNU/Linux) you need to manually
>     delete a hidden file to keep it from filling your hard disks?
>
> Note that I'm not necessarily looking for help but different views are
> welcome. I'm mostly interested in the phenomenon that there still is
> this well-known indefinitely growing file and seemingly no automatic
> rotation.

If you have a good idea how to fix that, please send it to bug
#287876[1] or one of its siblings.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. https://bugs.debian.org/287876