Re: Problem unplugging a USB drive

Why did the kernel automatically mount the stick ?

Usually mounts have to be made manually for this port.

On 26 Oct 2020 15:24, "David Wright" <deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
On Mon 26 Oct 2020 at 13:56:36 (+0000), Curt wrote:
> On 2020-10-26, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
> >
> > When you say 'just before', are you talking milliseconds or minutes?
> >
> > USB 'plugs' are appalling, and I've known sticks to be unrecognised, but
> > found after wiggling the device slightly.
> >

> I have a USB port like that; it's fickle. But I only actually realized
> or pinpointed it was the port being fickle (to interpret a certain
> semeiology I won't go into here) because David Wright mentioned the
> phenomenon in this forum not long ago.

With caddies, I'd add that things aren't improving at the other end of
the cable. My USB2 caddies have a small connector (I think they're
Mini B) on a 6ft flexible cable at the caddy end. If you hold the
cable a foot away from the caddy and move it side to side, the
miniplug is stable as a rock.

With the newer caddies, their connectors (3.0 Micro B, I believe)
are on a shorter, stiffer cable. Move the cable in the same way,
and the connector rocks from side to side, eventually generating
errors (or falling out).

Cheers,
David.