The .xsession-errors problem

It seems that ~/.xsession-errors file can still grow to infinity in
size. Sometimes it grows really fast. This is nothing new: we have all
seen it and talked about it. What do you do to maintain this file?

  - Do you just delete it when you happen to notice it's too big?

  - Do you configure some rotating system, perhaps with logrotate(8)?
    (Why doesn't Debian have this automatically?)

  - Do you add it to your backup system's ignore list so that a
    potentially big file doesn't fill your backups?

  - What do Debian documentation and faq lists teach about maintaining
    this potentially huge file?

  - Why is it normal that in Debian (and GNU/Linux) you need to manually
    delete a hidden file to keep it from filling your hard disks?

Note that I'm not necessarily looking for help but different views are
welcome. I'm mostly interested in the phenomenon that there still is
this well-known indefinitely growing file and seemingly no automatic
rotation.

From my backups I found an ~/.xsession-errors file of size 111
megabytes. Probably I deleted the file at that point and it started grow
again.

--
/// Teemu Likonen - .-.. https://www.iki.fi/tlikonen/