Re: Raid 1 borked

Bill wrote:
> So we're setting up a small server with a pair of 1 TB hard disks sectioned
> into 5x100GB Raid 1 partition pairs for data,  with 400GB+ reserved for
> future uses on each disk.

That's weird, but I expect you have a reason for it.

> I'm not sure what happened, we had the five pairs of disk partitions set up
> properly through the installer without problems. However, now the Raid 1
> pairs are not mounted as separate partitions but do show up as
> subdirectories under /, ie /datab, and they do seem to work as part of the
> regular / filesystem.  df -h does not show any md devices or sda/b devices,
> neither does mount. (The system partitions are on an nvme ssd).

Mounts have to happen at mount points, and mount points are
directories. What you have is five mount points and nothing
mounted on them.

> lsblk reveals sda and sdb with sda[1-5] and sdb[1-5] but no md[0-5]. blkid
> reveals that sda[1-5] and sdb[1-5] are still listed as
> TYPE="linux_raid_member".
>
> So first of all I'd like to be able to diagnose what's going on. What
> commands should I use for that? And secondly, I'd like to get the raid
> arrays remounted as separate partitions. How to do that?

Well, you need to get them assembled and mounted. I'm assuming
you used mdadm.

Start by inspecting /proc/mdstat. Does it show 5 assembled MD
devices? If not:

mdadm -A /dev/md0
mdadm -A /dev/md1
mdadm -A /dev/md2
mdadm -A /dev/md3
mdadm -A /dev/md4

And tell us any errors.

Once they are assembled, mount them:

mount -a

if that doesn't work -- did you remember to list them in
/etc/fstab? Put them in there, something like:

/dev/md0    /dataa  ext4    defaults    0   0

and try again.

-dsr-

--
https://randomstring.org/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.