Re: I take it back

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 02:52:41PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Oct 2020 16:25:12 -0400
> Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > It helps if you use the correct command to answer the question at
> > hand:
> >
> > rmadison -u debian -a source gksu
> > gksu       | 2.0.2-9       | oldoldstable | source
> > gksu       | 2.0.2-9       | oldstable    | source
> >
> > Tomas' statement is correct, in that gksu is not in Debian unstable or
> > in any release since stretch.  It looks like you might be using an
> > older Debian release.
>
> Had I known of rmadison's existence, I might have used it.
>
> I am using buster, upgraded from stretch. A quick look at my various apt
> sources.list files indicate I am not using any non-buster repos. So why
> did gksu show up in my buster apt cache? Since it is also on my system,
> and works, I conjecture that it was not removed at the time of the
> dist-upgrade.
>
> Checking another machine that had a fresh installation of buster, gksu
> is not installed and "apt-cache search gksu" returns nothing.
>
> Curiouser and curiouser.

If you install a package that is removed or absent from a subsequent
release and you then upgrade, the package will remain installed.  The
only exception is if another package during the upgrade conflicts with
the obsolete package, triggering a removal.

If you execute 'apt-cache policy gksu' on your system, you will see that
it is not associated with a remote repository.  That means that your
system only knows about the package because it happens to already be
installed.

Regards,

-Roberto

--