Re: Running HGST's DFT utility from a flash drive

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 08:55:20 +0300
Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 09:10:48PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 20:46:20 +0300
> > Reco <recoverym4n@enotuniq.net> wrote:

> > > Boot the thing via PXE. Syslinux can emulate a floppy from it's image
> > > (memdisk module).
> >
> > I had started thinking about PXE after my initial post. I tried PXE
> > (from my OpenWrt router) - it was actually fairly easy to setup,
> > following the guide here:
> >
> > https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/tftp.pxe-server
> >
> > And the thing actually runs! But I get the same errors described here :(
> >
> > https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2528
> >
> > To be more precise, here's what I get:
> >
> > **********
> >
> > HIMEM: DOS XMS Driver, Version 3.15 - 05/30/94
> > Extended Memory Specification (XMS) Version 3.0
> > Copyright (C) IBM Corp. 1988, 1994
> >
> > ERROR: Unable to control A20 line!
> > 	XMS Driver not installed.
> >
> > IBM RAMDrive version 3.10 virtual disk C:
> > RAMDrive: Extended Memory Manager not present
> > HMA not available: Loading DOS low
> > Microsoft (R) Mouse Driver Version 8.20
> > Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1983-1992.
> > Copyright (C) IBM Corp. 1992-1993.
> > Mouse driver installed
> >
> > Insert diskette for drive B: and press any key when ready
> >
> > <keypress>
> >
> > Error RAMDRIVE not found or wrong RAMDRIVE size.
> >
> > Insert diskette for drive A: and press any key when ready
> >
> > <keypress>
> >
> > A:\DFT>
> >
> > **********
> >
> > and that's it. Is this just a limitation of memdisk's emulation? Any
> > further ideas?
>
> Hm. Aren't you supposed to execute something from that A:\DFT directory?
> I mean, it booted, successfully mapped memdisk to A:, all is left to
> execute an appropriate .COM/.EXE.

I should have been a bit more precise - when the thing boots, some
software is started, and I get the menu described on p. 7 of the User's
Guide:

https://www1.hgst.com/hdd/support/downloads/Dft32_User_Guide_415.pdf

According to the manual, after I make the menu selection, "DFT will
load automatically and present you with the License Agreement as shown
below: ..." but this is where the thing bails and drops me to the
screen above.

I poked around a bit, but was unable to get anything to run:

'dir' shows two files: DFT-V300.EXE and LOADDFT.EXE. The latter
returns: "Error: Missing parameter." The former returns:

PKSFX (R) FAST! Self Extract Utility Version 2.50 03-01-1999
Copr. 1989-1999 PKWARE Inc. All Rights Reserved. Registered Version
PKSFX Reg. U.S. Pat. and Tm. Off.

Searching EXE: A:/DFT/DFT-V300.EXE
	Inflating: CleanDsk.PID
	Inflating: CleanMBR.PID
	Inflating: DFT.EXE
PXSFX: (E50) Disk Full, file: *

A:\DFT>

I switched to disk B: 'dir' shows four files: the two in A:, and
CLEANDSK.PID and CLEANMBR.PID. Running DFT-v300 gives the same error
(after warnings about overwriting the two *.PID files), and running
LOADDFT also gives the same error as above.

I understand that no one here can be expected to support this
ridiculously crufty proprietary closed source software. I'm just
wondering whether there's any FLOSS solution to emulate the actual
environment the thing expects closely enough for it to work.

Thanks,
Celejar