Re: Running HGST's DFT utility from a flash drive

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 09:04:12 -0400
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:

> Reco wrote:
> > 	Hi.
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 20, 2020 at 09:10:48PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > > I had started thinking about PXE after my initial post. I tried PXE
> > > (from my OpenWrt router) - it was actually fairly easy to setup,
> > > following the guide here:
> > >
> > > https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/services/tftp.pxe-server
> > >
> > > And the thing actually runs! But I get the same errors described here :(
> > >
> > > https://www.ultimatebootcd.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2528
> > >
> > > To be more precise, here's what I get:
> > >
> > > **********
> > >
> > > HIMEM: DOS XMS Driver, Version 3.15 - 05/30/94
> > > Extended Memory Specification (XMS) Version 3.0
> > > Copyright (C) IBM Corp. 1988, 1994
> > >
> > > ERROR: Unable to control A20 line!
> > > 	XMS Driver not installed.
> > >
> > > IBM RAMDrive version 3.10 virtual disk C:
> > > RAMDrive: Extended Memory Manager not present
> > > HMA not available: Loading DOS low
> > > Microsoft (R) Mouse Driver Version 8.20
> > > Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp. 1983-1992.
> > > Copyright (C) IBM Corp. 1992-1993.
> > > Mouse driver installed
> > >
> > > Insert diskette for drive B: and press any key when ready
> > >
> > > <keypress>
> > >
> > > Error RAMDRIVE not found or wrong RAMDRIVE size.
> > >
> > > Insert diskette for drive A: and press any key when ready
> > >
> > > <keypress>
> > >
> > > A:\DFT>
> > >
> > > **********
> > >
> > > and that's it. Is this just a limitation of memdisk's emulation? Any
> > > further ideas?
> >
> > Hm. Aren't you supposed to execute something from that A:\DFT directory?
> > I mean, it booted, successfully mapped memdisk to A:, all is left to
> > execute an appropriate .COM/.EXE.
>
> As Reco says: that's a success. You're in a DOS command-line
> environment.
>
> New experience: I've never explained DOS commands in terms of
> shell commands before; it's always been the other way around.
>
> UNIX systems have a single root; DOS systems have a root on each
> filesystem, and filesystems are identified by a letter followed
> by a colon. Traditionally A: and B: are removable media and C:
> is a hard disk, but it's not mandatory.

Thanks - I've used DOS before, and I'm somewhat familiar with its basic
use.

> Change to a different filesystem root by typing the letter
> followed by a colon
>
>         c:
>
> ls      dir         (you want /p for paginate)
> cd      chdir       (later versions allow you to substitute cd)
> fsck    chkdisk
> reset   cls         clear screen
> rm      del
> cp      copy
> cp -r   xcopy
>
> Go find the executable you need and run it by just typing its
> name or its path. Remember the slashes are backwards.

Thanks, but as I've described in more detail in my email to Reco, none
of the executables in either A: or B: work, and according to the
manual, none of them should need to be executed manually - the thing is
supposed to continue from its initial menu screen to its actual
operation, but instead it's bailing with the errors shown.

Thank you again,

Celejar