Re: Question: SSD speed

On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 06:49:56PM -0500, Leslie Rhorer wrote:

On 10/8/2020 2:17 PM, Michael Stone wrote:
On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 01:27:15PM -0500, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
    Well, what, really, is wrong with pedantry?

It makes conversation with humans harder

Can you provide any data to back that up? I find it often to be quite the opposite. Sloppy use of language very frequently leads to miscommunication, sometimes of a very serious nature.

And yet correcting people in contexts where there's no real ambiguity simply derails the conversation and distracts from the real point.
with no corresponding benefit.

There are many benefits to accuracy in communication, and many risks to poor accuracy in communication. Just ask NASA. Their $328 Million Mars Climate Orbiter was lost due to miscommunication between engineering teams.

Context is important. Are you confusing this mailing list with a two hundred million dollar science program?

    Not only that, but the discrepancy grows exponentially with the order of magnitude.  The difference between 1 KB and 1 KiB is only 24 bytes, or 2.4%.  The difference between 1 TB and 1 TiB is 9.9%, which is getting to be pretty significant.  That, not to mention the fact 93 GiB is a pretty good chunk of storage.

And how, exactly, does that matter?

If you don't understand how 1,000,000,000,000 bytes is different from 1,099,511,627,776 bytes, then I don't know what to tell you. They are not the same. They are different. Whether that difference is significant or not depends upon the situation.

You dodged the question of how that actually matters, in context. I'm just going to stop here, enjoy pedantry.