Re: Question: SSD speed

On Thu, Oct 08, 2020 at 01:27:15PM -0500, Leslie Rhorer wrote:
	Well, what, really, is wrong with pedantry?

It makes conversation with humans harder with no corresponding benefit.

Not only that, but the discrepancy grows exponentially with the order of magnitude. The difference between 1 KB and 1 KiB is only 24 bytes, or 2.4%. The difference between 1 TB and 1 TiB is 9.9%, which is getting to be pretty significant. That, not to mention the fact 93 GiB is a pretty good chunk of storage.

And how, exactly, does that matter? If you're on your own system and looking at output from the same set of programs the units don't actually matter at all--you could look and see that you need one foosbit of space and have two foosbits and be fine. Units only really matter if you're talking to someone else or otherwise taking information out of its original context. But I can't even think of a situation where I needed to tell someone on a mailing list that I had n TsomethingBsomething of space. Context is important. Within the context we're discussing, rough order of magnitude is more than precise enough. For humans a 5.4TB drive and a 4.9TiB drive both round to 5T. Relative values are generally much more important in this context: what percentage of the drive is used? what's the rate of consumption? Can debian 11 fit on a 5T drive? If you operate in some domain where you need much more precision then go ahead and do you, but it pretty much certainly isn't going to be on debian-user. At any rate here's the cold hard truth: even if you are exchanging information and it needs to be precise, humans being what they are it won't help you one bit if you're personally pedantic about MiB vs Mb because *you can't assume the other side means the same thing*. You'll have to establish a baseline in every situation where it matters. But in a situation where it doesn't matter, doing so is just a waste of time--it won't change the world or human nature.