Re: Question: SSD speed

Hi,

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> You would have gotten much better answers by just specifying the exact
> notebook make and model.

... plus the original report lines from smartctl which tell you the speed
value.

Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> SI prefixes can also help... if you use them consistently.

It is a classic that programs talk mixed about GB and GiB while not clearly
distinguishing them. In general, users must keep the difference in mind when
they compare "GB" values from different programs.
See
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mebibyte

Normally i use programmer's units: KiB, MiB, GiB, TiB. Meanwhile this habit
becomes questionable. What was a nice extra of 2.4 percent in the "kilobytes"
era became 4.9 percent with "mega", 7.4 with "giga", and 10 with "tera".
The merchants begin to cheat in the other direction. A 128 "GB" USB stick
might offer only 126 billion bytes a storage capacity.

But in this thread about SSD speed it was most confusing for me to read this:

Hans wrote:
> > And second: If the real transferrate is only 1,5Gbyte/sec, does this mean,
> > that the sata controller is not capable to higher transferrates

No existing SATA can deliver 1.5 gigabytes (+/- 7.4 percent).
So something is wrong in this statement and only original output from
exactly quoted program runs could tell what.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas