Re: Getting Debian Kernel Config for 5.4 LTS Kernel

Janis Hamme wrote:

> I'd like to build the vanilla 5.4.69 LTS Kernel for one of my Debian
> machines (Buster).
>
> The easiest way seems to build the Kernel with the built in "make
> deb-pkg" target. Since I do not really want to go through all the config
> changes,
> my plan was to get a 5.4 config for amd64 from
> https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux
>
> I cloned the git repository and checked out the 5.4.19-1_bpo10+1 tag.
> But the config seems do be manged somehow by the Debian build system and
> is split across multiple files for different architectures and feature
> sets etc. Does someone know how I can generate the final amd64 config to
> use it for my custom kernel?

cp /boot/config-xxxx.xxxx.xxx .config
make .oldconfig
make -j`nproc` bindeb-pkg

as mentioned in https://wiki.debian.org/BuildADebianKernelPackage

After make .oldconfig you will be asked questions about new stuff.

> Updating the Debian package sources for 5.4.69 would also work. It
> probably easy, but I didn't find any documentation or tutorials on it (I
> also don't really want to deal with the Debian custom patches that
> probably won't apply properly to Vanilla 5.4.69)

Actually it is not a bad idea to use the debian kernel with the patches,
especially if you are on public network.