Re: can't boot to a graphical interface.

On Sat, 3 Oct 2020 at 03:24, Frank McCormick <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> While compiling an application today my Debian bullseye system somehow
> got messed up. It will boot to a CLI but no X, apparently because for
> some reason the system is unable to access some files in
> /usr/share/dbus-1. It keeps saying access denied. The directories and
> files are owned by root, and if I noot to a CLI I have no trouble
> accessing them using sudo and midnight commander.

> I tried reinstalling systemd but it ended with the same problem.

> Can anyone help?

1. Restore your operating system backup, or do a fresh install of Debian,
   perhaps in a virtual machine.
2. Repeat the steps that caused the problem, using 'script' to
    capture all the commands and their output.
3. Post the 'script' capture here, or in a pastebin if it is too big for email.
4. Restore your operating system backup, or do a fresh install of Debian.
5. Restore your data backup.