Re: crc not installed but rsync using it? ...

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 01:49:25PM +0200, Albretch Mueller wrote:
I have losts of (not necessarily all) text files (say in the 10 of
thousands) in various directories which I need to process in a batch,
but before I do that I want to make sure that I get a baseline of the
source files. I use:

a)  crc
b)  md5sum
c) sha###sum

because those are three different checksum utilities based on
different algorithms which work fast enough and offer a set signatures
which are good enough.

Just one would be good enough (pick the sha256sum). What you're doing is a waste of time. If you want to future proof then use sha3, via the rhash package.