Re: crc not installed but rsync using it? ...

Albretch Mueller wrote:
> rsync uses crc for its data integrity checks. Why is it you can't use
> it like any other OS utility?

The code for CRC is so small and simple that virtually all applications
choose to implement it directly, rather than use a library or an
external application for it.

Also, note, there is no single `crc` (unlike MD5 or sha128). Strictly
speaking, Cyclic Redundancy Code is an algorithm, and you need to
specify more parameters (bit-width, polynom, initial value, and more) to
be able to actually implement it in code.
Sometimes people also say CRC when it is unambiguous in a certain field,
like CRC-32 for ethernet frames).

> How do I get all packages to be locally installed using dpkg from a
> public Windows machine?

I'm not sure I understand this question or how it relates to the
previous one.

Cheers,
Thomas