Re: Buster with MATE without systemd

On Vi, 18 sep 20, 22:24:44, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 10:23:15 +0300
> Andrei POPESCU <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mi, 16 sep 20, 10:32:14, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > >
> > > Short answer?  Probably not.  systemd has become too pervasive a
> > > dependency to do so.  It shouldn't be.  No other init system I know
> > > of is.
> >
> > Funny how systemd is constantly "blamed" that *other* packages depend
> > on it.
>
> I'm not laughing.  A lot of others aren't either.

Poor wording from my side, please consider s/funny/interesting/.

> And systemd isn't
> really blamed per se, even though there are a lot of people who hate
> it. It's the dependency to it that cause the problems.

It sure feels different to me. Maybe it's just because English is not my
native language.

> And it's not like
> it's impossible to have Debian without those dependencies. Devuan is
> proof of that.
>
> I blame lazy GNOME3 developers for starting it all.

While I'm an LXDE user myself I do acknowledge that other DEs might have
a different focus and/or priorities. As far as I can tell, providing
many options is something that GNOME seems to explicitly want to avoid,
whether we agree to it or not.

If systemd provides what they need, then why should they even consider
supporting anything else?

Kind regards,
Andrei