Re: LEAN Debian install: Exploring task selection menu

On Vi, 18 sep 20, 11:00:11, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:

> I don't know for sure, but one suggestion I'd make is to move that first option
> (whatever it said, something like Default debian desktop) to be the last
> option and change the wording, something like: "[for advanced users:] [can be
> used to] install X only (with no desktop)" (I guess if you want X only you
> have select that in the other place you mentioned.)

Even if that is technically correct (it can be use to install only X, if
you configure the installer to not install Recommends), it is, in my not
so humble opinion, an inefficient way to do it and can also have
unintended consequences (what if I want to have only X, but with all
Recommends?).

> I suspect many of the newbies to Linux will have heard about GNOME, KDE, along
> with the suggestion to consider one of the other much simpler desktops.  (When
> I encounter a newbie, I recommend either KDE or one of the lightweight
> desktops, I'm a "never GNOMEr"

In my experience (own as well as assisting other newcomers), users
coming from Windows or Mac will be surprised by the mere existence of
different options here.

Best to keep it as simple as possible.

Kind regards,
Andrei