Re: keyboard configuration stops working

On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 10:24:52PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Thu 20 Aug 2020 at 09:17:08 (-0400), Henning Follmann wrote:
> >
> > I have a strange one here.
> > I do have in my /etc/default/keyboard this option line:
> >
> > XKBOPTIONS="lv3:menu_switch,compose:ralt,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,ctrl:nocaps"
> >
> > for some time this works fine. I am talking about the last option.
> > I do not want the caps lock, so I mapped it to ctrl.
> >
> > But it forgets. I cannot describe it any other way.
> > Then I do a dpk-reconfigure again (say "no" when it comes to
> > if I want to keep the options), go edit the /etc/default/keyboard
> > to add ctrl:nocaps, and it works again. ... for a while.
> > Then it doesn't. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea why.
>
> I'm not sure why you're doing things in that order.

it really doesn't matter, does it?
You always end up with the same configuration file.

> You should edit /etc/default/keyboard to include the options
> you want (which you can't get from the questions Debian asks,
> then run   dpkg-reconfigure keyboard   and say YES.
> After all, if you don't want to keep them, why bother to
> type them in?)
>
> Then, it's recommended that you reboot.

That actually got me a bit further.
You really do not have to reboot. But you should run
setupcon

And here seems to be the inconsistency. It looks like
setup con is not always executed during boot or
when you login.

After i run setupcon manually everything is like I
expect it. I just don't know why it is not allways
called.

-H

--
Henning Follmann           | hfollmann@itcfollmann.com