Re: 32 versus 64 bit reading list suggestions

On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 20:07:52 +0000
Andrew Cater <amacater@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've just had a quick look at the Fit-PC site - all of
> them look to be 64 bit capable.

The Fit-PC I is no longer on the Fit-PC web site. Wikipedia, however...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fit-PC#fit-PC_1.0 The processor is:

root@freeman:~# uname -a
Linux freeman 4.19.0-6-686 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.67-2+deb10u2 (2019-11-11) i586 GNU/Linux
root@freeman:~#

Key to my requirements is two Ethernet ports. You can't do a very good
firewall with less than that. 100 Mbs is a reasonable minimum.

> You want something low power - 64 bit ARM?

I guess when the time comes I'll do some serious shopping.

> There does come a point when 32 bit x86 really isn't viable -
> that's round about now in my humble estimation, if it wasn't actually
> two years ago. Crucially, the boost library is hard to build -
> Firefox is built on 64 bit to work on 32 bit

I don't need Firefox for these. Three of the four machines I just
checked don't have libboost on them, and the fourth may not actually
need it.

For the actual firewall, I suppose I could repurpose my GL-AR750S-Ext.
https://www.gl-inet.com/products/gl-ar750s/ It currently serves as a
WiFi access point only. That's the only place where I really require
two Ethernet ports.

--
Does anybody read signatures any more?

https://charlescurley.com