query about kernel, download options, sessions

hello debian users,

after bit of research, i have decided to install debian. it is rock solid.

i have few queries. please be simple. english is not my native language.

i assumed kernel is most important for system security. do we have tweaked kernel packages. i dont mind a little of sluggishness or loss of performance.

i am privacy freak, hence not using android. however, after seeing size of libreoffice, is there any way an option to download only small portion. i have overheard aboout similar option in our os debian. this is must, only metered ethernet or wifi connections in my area. i am specifically interested about disadvantages compared to full package or normal update or upgrade.

to me email is important. i have decided to contribute bit similar to seti. can i run mail in two terminals. i have read somewhere using ctrl alt f2 option to start new session. is word session correct ? by jumping using above option will log out from existing session.

regards,
nenu