Re: keyboard configuration stops working

On Thu 20 Aug 2020 at 09:17:08 (-0400), Henning Follmann wrote:

> I have a strange one here.
> I do have in my /etc/default/keyboard this option line:
>
> XKBOPTIONS="lv3:menu_switch,compose:ralt,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,ctrl:nocaps"
>
> for some time this works fine. I am talking about the last option.
> I do not want the caps lock, so I mapped it to ctrl.
>
> But it forgets. I cannot describe it any other way.
> Then I do a dpk-reconfigure again (say "no" when it comes to
> if I want to keep the options), go edit the /etc/default/keyboard
> to add ctrl:nocaps, and it works again. ... for a while.
> Then it doesn't. I have ABSOLUTELY no idea why.

I'm not sure why you're doing things in that order.

You should edit /etc/default/keyboard to include the options
you want (which you can't get from the questions Debian asks,
then run   dpkg-reconfigure keyboard   and say YES.
After all, if you don't want to keep them, why bother to
type them in?)

Then, it's recommended that you reboot.

Cheers,
David.