Re: In network bonding second nic (eth1) is not pingable while first one (eth0) is always pingable"

Jaikumar Sharma wrote:

> For my tests on Cisco switch  at office (without any changes on
> switch) and using bonding in  "active-backup" mode, I can ping the
> active interface using bond0 IP after plugging out the network cable
> of the cable of active interface.
> Only catch was all interfaces must be on same VLAN - problem was found
> that one of the interface was in different VLAN and that is why ping
> was failing - I asked my IT guy to put all interfaces in same VLAN and
> everything worked like charm

active-backup does not require specific configuration on the switch but of
course you have to have the same VLAN on all ports same as in the bond on
the server. But again it is not LACP (mode4). LACP requires configuration
on both ends (LAG) and has the advantage that it negotiates the active
interface. In the case only one link is active. If it fails the other takes
over and both devices are notified.