Re: question regarding no space left on device message

On 2020-08-21 02:35, Semih Ozlem wrote:
Hi,

When I try installing some programs while running debian live from a usb, I
get a message saying that there is no space left on device.
I presume this means that the space allocated on the usb for debian is not
enough to install the program in question.
I am wondering if there is a way to attach another device so that this
problem can be overcome. I am wondering how to do tell debian system that
the externally attached memory device can be used to install programs.

Thank you

As others have mentioned, perhaps you want "persistence". This allows you to use the free space on the USB device to save data and/or enhance the live OS.

That said, I prefer to do a full install onto a good USB 3.0 flash drive. This allows me to customize the stick exactly how I want. Graphical desktop use can be choppy, due to a lack of a RAM cache, NCQ, etc., and other SSD/HDD performance features. But, I find these very useful for portable maintenance and trouble-shooting.

I have used USB flash drives as system drives 24x7 in low-end servers. They worked.

I assume continuous frequent writes would rapidly consume the lifespan of a USB flash drive. Some people use high-endurance SD cards and an SD-to-USB adapter in such use-cases.

Finally, there are very high-performance USB flash drives available with SSD controllers -- Corsair GTX, possibly others. However, I expect they are optimized for large sequential I/O rather than the small random I/O that system drives experience.

David