question regarding no space left on device message

Hi,

When I try installing some programs while running debian live from a usb, I get a message saying that there is no space left on device.
I presume this means that the space allocated on the usb for debian is not enough to install the program in question.
I am wondering if there is a way to attach another device so that this problem can be overcome. I am wondering how to do tell debian system that the externally attached memory device can be used to install programs.

Thank you